Monday, November 9, 2009

November Musings


As usual October has disappeared in a flash and November has reared it's head and smacked me in the face, a rude reminder that fall 2009 has vanished. Vanished and once again I have no fall foliage photos to oohh and ahhh over. The teaser of reds and yellows that was beginning to transform the north woods in mid-September will have to hold me until next year. There WILL be a fall trip next year, of that I am certain. I'll just have to break the news to D when the time is right.

There is a difference this November.   Normally by now I have thoughts of western Pennsylvania running through my head, dreary skies, Amish farms, miles of barren fields, and family. And usually by now I am shaking moth balls from my winter wardrobe while humming Over the River and Through the Woods. But this year is different. This year the turkey will be carved a day early. Half of the family will be MIA (spending their day in airports) and the table will be set in Florida. This year the Turkey Bowl will be played on a beach in the Bahamas and steel drums will replace the steel city. It is the Minner family's rendition of "Thanksgiving Vacation." Clark and Uncle Eddie will be replaced by....well maybe I better not go there.

Let's just say this is going to be a different kind of Thanksgiving. We may not all be together on Thanksgiving Day, but I am confident that when the ship sails on Friday afternoon all 18 of us will be present and accounted for; dancing on the deck as the boat pulls away from the dock. Toasting the fact that even though this year is different, it really is the same.

However, the Norwegian Sky may never recover.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

I live in the northeast - and fall is always too short. Plan next year's trip for the month of October. It's the best! Have a great Thanksgiving cruise.