Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Lens Baby

Several years ago I purchased a funky little lens called the Lens Baby.  The Lens Baby's unique design allows the photographer to manipulate it in ways standard lenses don't permit.  The result produces a very small area that is in focus leaving the remainder of the image a soft blur.

I became enamoured with the creative possibilities this little gem had to offer.  However, once home and out of the box frustration struck in a big way.  I discovered that while the lens was cute and quirky it was extremely difficult to master.  My frustration mounted and soon the little lens found its way back into the box and on the shelf.  It has remained there for the better part of six years.  Every once in awhile I'd get the urge to give her another go but to no avail.  For me the Lens Baby was a bust.

Fast forward to last week when I stumbled upon a website featuring beautifully creative Lens Baby images.  Newly inspired, I blew the dust of the old girl, now a dinosaur in the Lens Baby family, determined to get it right.  For the past four days she has remained on the camera.  I have played with the attachments and remained stubbornly focused, (pun intended), on getting it right.

wLB_1

I am far removed from producing anything close to the images of the LB gurus, but progress has been made.

wLB_3

After sifting through a few hundred or so images from the past four days I have selected a few to share.

wLB_2



wBird_on_wire

It is extremely difficult to hold the camera,  manipulate the lens and keep the the focal point sharp.

wAntithesis

It was even more difficult on a moving boat.

wLB_4


wspeed_boat

I'm not certain I will ever master the lens.  I'm told that the newer incarnations are easier to use.

wPink_buds

Maybe I should start saving my pennies.

P.S.  If I have piqued your interest and you would like to see some truly inspiring LB images, click HERE.



No comments: