Friday, January 1, 2010

Out with the Old


Here we are again - January 1st. The start of a new year. Time to get that list of resolutions out of the top drawer of my dresser, dust it off and give it a look. 

Hmmm, it appears to have been a dismal year. Once again I failed to achieve any of my goals. Nadda, zip, zero. I am still a miserable procrastinator, and I did not lose one ounce in 2009. Instead I gained a few, makes it less likely that I will blow away in the event of a hurricane.

I'm thinking it might be time for a change. Rethink this whole New Years Resolution thing. Abolish it. Ban it. Kick it to the curb. I have worked a lot these past weeks on self-acceptance as it pertains to my photography, I think I'll apply those principles to "the list." You know, embrace my shortcomings, make Long Island Ice Tea out of lemons. (Why stop at Lemonade?)

I am a procrastinator. I am very good at it. Over the course of my life I have honed this skill to perfection. I have found that if I put planning dinner off long enough, I get to eat out. If I delay cleaning out my closet a few more months out-dated fashions tend to become fashionable once more. Look how much money I save. And if I push back washing my car just one more day, it might rain and do the work for me..seriously, why bother? However, failure to clean the house in a timely manner has not yet managed to get me a maid, "hope springs eternal."

I'm beginning to like this new attitude. I realize that I run the risk of getting a reputation for being lazy, but that's not it at all. (Well, maybe a little bit.) It just means that if I'm going to put unpleasant tasks off as long as possible I might as well find the good in it. It also means that those of you still standing by your mailboxes waiting for my Christmas card can come inside now and get warm.

2 comments:

S. Patton said...

Love your post, I think because I can totally relate!! Thanks for bringing a smile to my face - happy 2010 to you :)

Emily said...

what a great piece of advise, thanks Aunt Sue. Emily says Hi and Happy New Year.