Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Rescue Me

Originally posted 08/24/08

I think most people know that I am a dog person.  Having a dog in the house is essential for my mental well being, especially in these empty nest years.  One four legged, furry creature somehow manages to fill up all of the empty spaces in my heart.  The ones caused by relocating away from friends and family, the ones that were drilled when the boys grew up and left home, and the huge one that slipped in when I lost my Dad.  That's why, when Rosco succumbed to cancer 18 months ago at the ripe old age of 13, I just could not keep the promise I made to D.  The one that said we would wait at least one year before even thinking about another dog.  I lasted 6 weeks.

wCatnap

I first saw her mug shot on PetFinder.com.  I wasn't looking for a dog.  She was in the wrong section. I had made a promise.  But there was something in that face, those eyes, that had me pausing to take a closer look.  She was the product of abuse and neglect, a Golden Retriever mix, a beautiful little girl who needed someone to love her.  I knew that someone was me. 

D was easy.  He caved without even putting up a fight.  (He won't admit it, but I think his heart was broken too.)  She was offered for adoption by Golden Retriever Rescue of Naples (GRIN) and it took a few weeks to get through the process.  (GRIN is a wonderful rescue organization.  They do an outstanding job of screening potential owners because they want permanent homes for their dogs.)  There were phone calls, interviews, home visits, more phone calls, visits with the dog in her foster home, and still more phone calls. (I told you it was process.)  Finally we were pronounced worthy and Henna entered our lives. 

Henna is her own person (dog?).  She is a gentle spirit.  She carries a lot of Golden Retriever genes; the ones that make her sweet and playful and gentle (you can take food out of her mouth).  Allie drags her around by her fur and rides her like a horse.  But I think she has a few cat chromosomes in the mix.  She's a princess.  She does not like to be wet, avoids water at all cost.  (I've tried to tell her she's a retriever but she won't listen.)  It's rather comical to observe her prancing around puddles.  And, she's aloof.  When she has had enough of being scratched and petted she turns around, sticks her feather duster tail in the air and sashays away.  Ignoring all pleas to come back for more.  She is then content to hang on the fringe of things.  But always keeping one eye on the action lest she miss something fun.

I love her.  This four legged ball of fur.  She brings sunshine on a rainy day.  She sheds worse than any creature I have ever owned.  She greets me with the same enthusiasm whether I've been gone all day or just stepped out to get the mail.  She sheds worse than any creature I have ever owned.  (Oh, did I already mention that?)  And although nothing can replace the losses in my life, the empty spaces in my heart are once again filled with the unconditional love of a dog.



No comments: