Sunday, December 19, 2010

Seinfeld & Susan, The Movie

Yesterday, while lying around recuperating from this "thing" I have contracted,  I watched the movie Julie and Julia.  Have you seen it?  I admit I was a bit underwhelmed when I saw it at the theater last summer.  But sitting in the comfort of home (on my death bed) I was able to savor it and digest it slowly as if it were one of Julia Child's fancy French dishes.  It may have been the fever, but I found it quite enjoyable the second the time around.  In a tangle of story lines we find a biography of Julia Child during her Paris years; and the true story of another young woman, Julie Powell,  at a crisis point in her life.

wBougs

It was the second story line that really piqued my interest.  The Julie side of the coin.  Here we have a frustrated young woman, a writer, trapped in a government job with no place to go.  She discovers an outlet and a joy in cooking. Armed with the support and encouragement of her husband she decides to write a blog.  A cooking blog.  Julie spends 365 days, one full year, cooking her way through Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking"  and blogs about it.  Her blog becomes a smashing success.  It is read by thousands and at the end of her tenure Julia is rewarded with several offers from publishers and publicists to turn that little blog of hers into a novel.

Do you see the parallels?  Julie and I are both bloggers.  She blogged about cooking.  I blog about...nothing.  She blogged for one year.  I have been blogging for 2 and 1/2 years.  She had a following of thousands.  I have a following of eleven, twelve if I count the dog.  What I want to know is why isn't my phone ringing off the hook?  Where are all of the calls from publishers and publicists?   Screen writers?  Where is the demand for more me?

I'm really quite puzzled by this lack of interest.   But I am prepared just the same.  I haven't decided who should play me in the movie but I'm thinking Pierce Brosnan would make an excellent "Kid."  I have even come up with a title for the project,  "Seinfeld & Susan, Much Ado About Nothing." It has a nice ring to it, don't you agree?

3 comments:

Judy H. said...

Hehehe

Audrey said...

I think of you more in the Erma Bombeck vernacular - and it would be a very entertaining book!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo accompanying this post! I bet none of Julie's subscribers missed her when she went away.