Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Bleacher Dwellers

I felt it immediately upon arrival, the level of comfort and acceptance that says you are among friends.  It took me surprise because prior to the second week in January the majority of attendees were strangers.  Others I knew only casually.

I should not have been surprised.  I've been here before: swim meets, little league, basketball, football.  Whatever the sport or geographic location, those who share the bleacher seats bond.  They come together week after week, strangers connected by the thin thread of participants on the playing field.  Over the course of the season the threads become intertwined and relationships are formed.  Tidbits of lives beyond the ball park are shared and before long the bleacher dwellers are cheering on each other as well as the team on the field.

wbleacher_seats

Senior softball 2012 has come to a close.  Saturday evening the team gathered to celebrate one final time and everyone was in agreement.  It was a successful season all around.

As for me, I shall miss the bleacher dwellers.  We are strangers no more.

1 comment:

Tim Logan said...

Good times were had on those hard seats and friendships over a three month period became life long. Thanks for stirring a memory.