Thursday, March 15, 2012

Food Fight

The other afternoon I ventured to the local marina in search of photos.  I knew that if I timed it correctly I might come upon a fishing charter or two returning from an afternoon on the water.  A fishing charter with a catch to clean means only one thing.....  pelicans.

On this day luck was with me.  One fine looking vessel was pulling into the marina as I arrived.  No sooner had the boat tied up to the dock than the scavengers began to arrive.  Much like a heat seeking missile honing in on its target the pelican zeros in on a free meal.  They arrive en mass, bobbing up and down in the water patiently waiting for dinner to be served.

There is only one small problem.  Too many pelicans; too few fish.  The end result?

wPelican_4

Food fight!

wPelican_food_fight

The ensuing bill smacking and wing flapping is on par with any barroom brawl Hollywood could engineer.  It is truly a sight to behold.  The free-for-all goes on for several minutes until eventually someone emerges victorious. The bulging gullet and protruding tail leave no doubt as to the victor.

wPelican_5

The losers resume their posts and the melee resumes.

At one point this little guy took notice of me and my upraised camera.

wPelican_2

He separated himself from the crowd and began paddling in my direction.

wPelican_1

He was sorely disappointed to learn I had nothing to offer.

wPelican_3

Oh how I love these magnificent creatures.  I could watch them for hours.

1 comment:

Diane - Daily Walks said...

Wonderful series of these magnificent creatures! I could watch them forever too.