Thursday, September 20, 2012

An Offer We Couldn't Refuse

"What if I make you an offer you can't refuse?"  The words were spoken as if from the mouth of Vito Corleone himself and as quick as that our renovation project was expanded.

This additional phase has always been a part of the plan but was moved to "sometime in the future" after an initial attempt to bid the job two years ago caused serious financial heartburn.  We took a giant step back, prioritized our needs and broke the project up into a series of phases before going back out to bid this summer.


wporch_demo2


The change of plans set construction back a week while paper work was finalized and the building permit updated. Yesterday it began again in earnest.  The demo crew arrived at 7:30 a.m. and the sun porch began to disappear.

wPorch_demo1

The added phase will expand our tiny kitchen to adequate and provide a small dining area on the lake side of the cottage.  A small addition that packs a punch and will serve us well.

wporch_demo3

As the day wore on and the room vanished I was once again struck by the nostalgia bug.  My eyes grew teary as I remembered the first time we walked this property and peeked in the windows.  The little porch with its wonderful old crank out windows was my favorite part of the cottage and trust me when I tell you I spent many hours on that porch and watched many a sunset in the past two years.

And lets not even talk about the grief our three children have given us over those old windows.

wporch_demo_4

But it is time to move on.  We've done our research and hope to put things back in a way that will be reminiscent of what once was yet more air tight and efficient.

wporch_demo_5

For now Little Red stands as she did 62 years ago before the garage and the porch were added.  A tiny, one room cottage with a lot of promise.

3 comments:

Audrey said...

I know how projects can grow.... Can't wait to see the end results!

Marla Logan said...

Looking forward to watching your "little" cottage grow!! I know it will be precious!! Can't wait for the end results, I know ya'll will have her looking spiffy!

Marla Logan said...

Looking forward to watching your "little" cottage grow!! I know it will be precious!! Can't wait for the end results, I know ya'll will have her looking spiffy!