Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Herd

I have passed this herd of alpaca almost daily for two years.  Finally I stopped to take a closer look.

walpaca_2

My mother has deduced, based on her vast alpaca knowledge and a few dozen drive-bys, that the herd is never out on sunny days due to the fact that alpaca sun burn easily.  I can't speak to the truth of that statement I can only speculate.

walpaca_4

Our Florida neighbor questioned the number of alpaca that make up this little herd.  The Kid estimated 50, which Dale thought was absurd based on his vast alpaca knowledge, after all he stated, alpaca are costly to own.  I can't speak to the truth of that statement either.  But on the day I visited I estimated roughly 100 animals scattered between several pastures.

walpaca_5

I read that "Alpaca fleece is the natural fiber harvested from an alpaca.  While similar to sheep's wool, alpaca is lighter yet much warmer and not itchy against the skin."  I can't speak to the truth of that statement either.  Although I did read it on the internet so it must be true.

You might be wondering, what do I know about alpaca?

walpaca-3

They sure are cute.

No comments: