Saturday, September 22, 2012

Houston We Have a Problem

This morning I was going to write and tell you how we are comfy and cozy in our tiny cocoon.  So much so that we had begun referring to each other as the Ingalls of Little House on the Prairie fame.  With the dismantling of the sunporch we lost our bedroom...again, and have been forced to retreat into our, appropriately named, living room.  The bed is nestled in one corner next to the fire place, the couch and chairs neatly arranged and our trusty little electric heater stands at the ready on the other side of the room.

That image changed dramatically at 2 a.m. this morning.  You can imagine my surprise when sticking one foot out of my warm bed I stepped into a puddle.  In my foggy state I couldn't figure out what was wrong; and then I heard it, the pitter patter of rain on the roof and the drip, drip, drip of water hitting the floor.  My initial thought was that the large old window I am insisting on salvaging was leaking.  I was half right.  Water was dripping between the plywood cover on the outside and finding its way inside through the worn seals onto the newly installed hardwood floors inside!  The Kid and I sprang to action attempting to stem the flow and soon realized we had bigger issues. Water was also seeping between the seams of the ceiling tiles along the entire length of the cottage as well as through the heat vents.  Houston we have a problem.

Needless to say we didn't get a lot of sleep last night.  Pots and pans are sitting amid the towels on the floor in an attempt to catch the largest leaks. The cozy Ingalls cottage now resembles the one vacated by the Beverly Hillbillys. It appears the Clampetts have arrived.

You can call me Ellie Mae.

wLago_2

(Picture totally unrelated.  Just can't post without a photo.)

No comments: