Thursday, March 3, 2011

Flowers and Idol Talk

Yesterday was crazy busy what with a trip to the farmer's market and an airport run.  I'll probably post this without a picture which I will add a little later this morning.

You know what a trip to the farmer's market means, other than BLTs for lunch today?  You are correct, a lovely little bunch of flowers was purchased and sits patiently waiting for its photo op.  You can expect to see more florals grace the pages here for a few days.  I was hoping to get to the beach this morning to change things up a bit but cool temperatures and high winds are keeping me at home.  This of course means floral portraits are scheduled for this afternoon.

Any American Idol watchers out there?  The Kid and I have been fans of the show since season 1.  Although the past 2-3 years we watched with far less enthusiasm.  The judges had become boorish, their shtick was old and tiresome.  It seemed Idol had lost its way.  The shows were more about the judges bad behavior and promoting pop "stars"  than the current crop of hopefuls.  It even seemed that the talent was lacking, almost as if the producers had scooped up the best talent in the first 5 or 6 seasons leaving the only a few crumbs remaining.

But this year things seem to be different.  The new judges are a breath of fresh air.  (My humble opinion of course.)  J-Lo offers a gentle touch, even when delivering the bad news.  She is intelligent and honest with the kids and I think it will be fun to watch her grow into the role of judge and mentor.  It's nice to see Randy in a position of leadership.  He has toned down his dawgs and yo mans a bit and tries to keep it real without Simon's caustic and hurtful diatribes.  But its Steven Tyler that does it for me.  I really like the guy.  He is fun, funny and edgy.  And he appears to be genuinely embracing his new gig and connecting with the kids.  I would like to see him offer a little more direction in his critiques but perhaps that will come as he too grows into his new role.

I like that this year it seems to be more about the contestants than in the past few seasons.  I like hearing their back stories and watching them morph into performers.  The talent level this season is heads and shoulders above that of recent years, so much so that I'm having trouble selecting my version of the top 12.

After last year I was convinced that this would be the final season.  However I give American Idol, Season 10 two thumbs up...at least in the early going.  If they continue down this path I believe we just might see a season 11.

3 comments:

Bethany Patton said...

I agree about AI! Love it this season. The talent is there! My initial gut is that it will be a guy winner this year. The girls bored me a bit last night. My favorites are: casey abrams, Paul mcdonald, scotty mccreary, lauren alana. I was unsure how Scotty would do...but he blew it out of the water tues. He will get a record deal out of this but dont know if he will win it or not. Yes, and LOVE the judges this year. So much better than the Paula/simon combo.

Tim Logan said...

I agree on AI. I was very skeptical about this year and didn't know if I would follow it. It is much better with the new judges and the talent is great this year.
Pop

Audrey said...

I agree an all counts as well - and especially about Steven Tyler. He's great!