Friday, March 11, 2011

Shoo Fly

Yesterday morning we had a wicked thunderstorm that caused the power to surge (knocking out our new HD cable box) and the rain to fall in torrents.  I was stuck inside wondering what I was going to do for a Project 365 photo.  A little shopping jaunt into Naples soothed my troubled soul and I returned with a fresh attitude (and a clearing sky).  I ventured outdoors wondering what I might find after the rain and wasn't disappointed.

Initially I was on the hunt for water droplets left clinging for their lives to flower petals and pretty green leaves.  And then I noticed these.

wgreen_fly_3

Tiny little flys with the most interesting colorations were adorning the shrubbery just outside my back door.

To give you a little perspective on the size of these critters I backed out and shot the image below.

wfly-full_size

I don't know what kind of fly they might be, perhaps a fruit fly, but they were about the size of my finger nail.

wgreen_fly_2

They were also much less skittish than the bees and allowed me ample time to set up and shoot before flying off for parts unknown.

wgreen_fly

It really is amazing what you see when you take the time to look.  (Of course it helps to have a macro lens to get up close and personal.)

Link to Project 365

No comments: