Sunday, May 6, 2012

Peaks and Valleys

Peaks and valleys.  Bumps in the road.  We all have them.  Right now, at this moment I am in a creative valley.  I hope this is the bottom.  I also hope I stumble upon the babbling brook that I know is running through it.  The one that will lead me to the path upward and out.

wHenna

Looking back, I believe I peaked the summer we went to Maine (2009).  That summer it seemed I produced quality images on a daily basis.  My enthusiasm was high.  I worked each scene.  I saw the light.  I executed my vision.  Success bred success and I was excited to see what the next day would bring.  I was on the mountain top.  I had reached my creative summit.  And then I began the long trek down.

I think it started with the gallery.  A golden opportunity to sell my work in a prime location with little risk involved.  I moved inside, spent hours and hours scouring the archives, printing and framing images.  All the while my camera sat idol on the shelf.  As I chatted with customers, accepted their compliments and their checks my creative energy began to slowly shrivel and die.

That leads me to where I am today, three short years later.  I am producing images that all look alike.  Images that are uninspiring.  Lifeless.  Soft.  (Soft, what's up with that?  I can't take a tack sharp photo to save my soul.)   To the untrained eye I am certain they look great.  But those of you out there who have photography in your blood know exactly what I am talking about.  The truth is, I need a jolt.  A creative kick in the pants.  And I don't know where to find it.

Maybe acknowledging the need is the first step.

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We need to talk.