Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Variations on a Theme - Take Two

It has been a busy few days.  We are in the process of closing up the house and packing our bags.  Little Red Cottage here we come.

There is little else to be said other than I am ready.  I am ready to rejoin the 7 AM walkers.  Ready to sit in the Adirondack chairs and watch the show as the sun dips below the horizon.  Ready to sip a glass of wine around the campfire and catch up with friends.  Ready to scour the local farm stands for hanging baskets.  And ready to see family.

There is still much to be done but the dye is cast.  We leave on Thursday....  bright and early.

For today's image I selected my 70 - 200mm lens.  The focal length is perfect for portraits and when used effectively the background melts into oblivion, like butter in the pan.  My dilemma was how to use this lens creatively in my chosen location.

Eventually I selected a single bougainvillea blossom almost half way into the frame.  I snapped a couple of images that did nothing for me and then the idea struck..... multiple exposures.  I adjusted the setting enabling me to take nine (9) photos which were combined into one image in camera.  Focusing on the white stamen I turned the camera slightly to the right after each shot.  I repeated this process several times varying the the amount of the turn with each try.

I knew immediately when I saw the image below that I had my shot.  The others were good, but this one was golden.  The tiny white center of the bougainvillea remained virtually intact while the surrounding pink blossoms dissolved into a blur of pink cotton candy.

wCotton_candy

Stay tuned.  I don't know where tomorrow will take me, but I do know that I will enjoy the journey.


1 comment:

Audrey said...

So will I!