Monday, May 7, 2012

Variations on a Theme

Once I admitted to myself that my photography was stagnating I began to consider what steps I might take  to remedy the problem.  I spent a lot of time yesterday afternoon perusing the internet in search of answers.  I found a new site that offers on-line classes.  Definitely a consideration.  On line photography classes are always fun, and given the right instructor and classmates, a learning opportunity that is as rewarding as any I have experienced.

I also discovered several new travel and nature photographers (at least new to me), and have begun devouring their websites and blogs.  One never knows where one might find inspiration.

And thirdly, I have given myself a challenge.  A short one as this is a busy week, what with the packing and the cleaning and the organizing that goes into relocating for the summer.  But that's tomorrow's blog, today is about photography.

The photo below is of our back yard, all 10 feet of it.  Beginning today through Wednesday I have challenged myself to make an image here, among the bougainvillea and the palms.

back yard-7911

Each day I must use a different lens and a different approach; such as this view taken a couple of weeks ago.  I used a wide angle lens (for those of you who have an interest, mine is a 12-24mm), crouched down low eliminating most of the middle and tilted the lens up.  I like it.  It's fresh and fun.  It's also something I've done previously and you won't be seeing again.  At least not this week.

04-22-12

This morning, using the same wide angle lens,  I was stymied.  What could I do that I haven't done before?  That's when I noticed the sky was filled with white, puffy cotton ball clouds.  I ended up lying flat on my back, in my pajamas I might add, placing the lens as close as it would focus to an overhanging cluster of flowers and shot straight up using the vivid blue sky and puffy clouds as background.  (Thankfully what few people are left in the neighborhood were nowhere to be found.  They already think I'm crazy.)

05-07-12

I don't know if this will solve my problem, but it's a start.

A start is a step in the right direction.

No comments: