Saturday, May 19, 2012

Green Acres

wWhite_flower

"You're not a very good farmer,"  he proclaimed as he stood, hands on hips looking at the overturned wheel barrow.  Top soil and peat moss unceremoniously dumped on the ground adjacent to the new raised bed vegetable garden.  (It is much like Green Acres around here.  Except that we don't have a pet pig.)

It took most of the day but the task was done.  Thirty bags of topsoil weighing in at forty pounds each were opened into the work cart, mixed with peat moss and shoveled into the 4'x8' frame.  It is now ready for planting (which will take place today).

I was ready for a hot shower (oh that's right, we don't have one of those) and a bed.

There is a great deal of personal satisfaction in physical labor. Accomplishment in falling into bed with every muscle in your arms and back aching from exhaustion.

If only I could get out of bed this morning I'd plant those tomatoes.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Save me some sweet August tomatoes!

Maery Rose said...

I can't wait to see the fruits of your labor. I'm hoping to buy plants tomorrow to get in over the weekend.

p.s. I cheated and got a couple men to load my new raised beds with dirt...