Saturday, June 9, 2012

Morning Paddle

One morning this past week I ventured out in the kayak.  I had high hopes of spotting wild life along the lake shore.  Apparently I needed to be on the water at a much earlier hour instead of sipping coffee  for even a chance at that possibility.

It was a pleasant morning none-the-less and I did spot this little guy munching on an acorn.

wsquirrel_on_log

He tolerated my intrusion for several minutes before taking off in a huff.

squirrel_jump

He must be a distant relative of mine.  He's camera shy.

squirrel_log_walk

Fallen trees and those with exposed roots were plentiful.  This image inspires me to return for a do-over in the golden light of sunset.  Imagine how much more interesting it would be aglow in the light of the setting sun.

wtree

For some reason I am always surprised to stumble upon Mallards on the lake.

wmallards

I have grown to appreciate the quiet calm of the kayak.  Sitting low in the water, paddling in and out of shallow lagoons with only the sound of the birds overhead has become my idea of a good time.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.




No comments: