Friday, September 24, 2010

More Trash Talk

The sun was shimmering through a thin layer of clouds. On this morning the trash can wasn't loaded down with cast-off vacuum cleaners or the accumulation of a week's worth of trash from 7 people. My smile was bright and my step light as I headed down the lane with my charge rattling along behind.

About the time I turned to head home I heard a distant rumbling. Was that thunder? Nah, it was a beautiful morning. The rumbling continued, growing ever closer.  I knew I was in trouble. I began to walk faster and faster and as the rain began to fall I broke into an all out sprint. I am petrified of thunder storms. Many years ago I came within a nano second of being struck by lightening and to this day I take no chances.

The rumbling thunder pursued like a knife wielding attacker. I picked up the pace but the fast approaching storm was relentless. My heart rate was out of control, pumping so hard and fast I was certain it would explode in my chest. I was gasping for breath and my legs were as steady as a bowl full of melting jello. It was curtains for me. If the lightening didn't kill me I would collapse and die of a heart attack.

Giving in to the pain I slowed to a walk, and then to a crawl. If I was going to die I might as well enjoy the last few moments of my life. And that's when it hit me. If I would just admit that The Kid was right I could call for the trash service to be switched from the rolling can to convenient & easily transported bags.  As I rounded the last bend in the lane I knew what I had to do.

wLane_fallfoliage

Stay tuned for more adventures with the can.  Because yes, I AM that stubborn.

Photo: Fall on the Lane with a touch of Topaz Adjust Filter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess the lightning didn't strike since you were able to write. Gorgeous fall pic. No color here yet. -k-

Audrey said...

Very nice banner shot! And I forgot your fear of thunder storms...(you would not have liked Friday night in Hilton Head - incredible lightning show surrounded us) Glad you survived -I agree, the fall pic is gorgeous.