Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Stroll vol.III - Trash Talk & the Lane

Do you remember yesterday when I didn't tell you about the long hike I took with the large and overflowing trash container? I know you have been wondering about that so I'm going to tell you all about it today.

The lane leading from the road to the cottage is almost 1/2 mile long. (I am certain of that, I had The Kid clock it.) Neither the postman nor the trash man will venture down this narrow and winding drive, which means we have to deliver the trash to the road. The beast is not equipped to haul a 30 gallon trash container, especially one loaded with 5 days worth of garbage from 7 people. This job was all mine.

For those of you who may be wondering why the ever gallant Kid didn't offer to make the trek for me I'll tell you...he is stubborn. You see I had made the arrangements for trash pick-up and not quite putting two and two together I assumed we needed a rolling container. He thought otherwise. What I now know makes more sense is paying for x-number of bags/week and skipping the container. Bags fit in the trunk of the beast, unlike the monster trash can that was unceremoniously deposited at the end of the lane.

And so on a cold and dreary Wednesday morning I began the long and laborious march down the almost 1/2 mile road to civilization. Not only is the lane long and winding but there are also a couple of dippity dos to climb along the way. By the time I reached the top of the first one my heart was pounding and I was doubled over gasping for air. (It could be that I'm a little bit out of shape.) But I am nothing if not determined so I persevered, trudging along with the rumbling trash container, certain I was on my death march and desperately hoping one of my 4-wheel drive SUV sporting neighbors would happen along and rescue me. They did not.

Finally, on my knees and crawling I made it to the end of the lane only to learn that trash pick-up was delayed due to the Labor Day holiday. But hey, this isn't Marco Island, I live in the country now and no one cares if I place my can on the curb 24 hours too soon. If they do, they can feel free to walk it back down the lane because I'm a one way kind of a girl and I'm not taking it back until it's empty. I'm also giving serious consideration to putting a harness on Henna and training her to take out the trash. It could work.

And since we haven't done it for awhile today we're taking a Sunday Stroll. Where you ask? Where else...down the lane.

The main entrance.

wEntranceBonnieLane

As you can see we now live in a gated community.

wThe Gate

I do however, question the safety and stability of the lock. I wonder if anyone knows where the key is?

wLock

Definitely need a mph sign, wouldn't want any interlopers speeding.

wTheLane_2

Seed pods, one of the first signs of fall,

wSeedPod

as are fallen red leaves.

wGrass.leaves

Dippity do number one. It's a killer when you're toten a load. What you can't see is that the lane winds its way down hill to the right the makesa sharp left turn and crossing a tiny stream before heading back up hill to the spot you see in the distance.

wTheLane

Pretty red berries.

wRedBerries

This sign has me a little concerned. Hopefully I will be in sunny Florida on the first day of deer season. Oh wait, I'll still be here. Maybe I best invest in a flack jacket.

wNoHunting

I know for certain that I have not granted permission for anyone to discharge a firearm in MY safety zone.

wteasil

Wild flowers are everywhere...country living at it's finest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My chair was so comfortable while taking your tour, that I hardly broke a sweat. -k-