Friday, January 4, 2013

JOY

wsunrise

Four days ago 2013 arrived.  The start of a new year usually fills me with determination, anticipation, even excitement.  The door has slammed shut on whatever failures or short comings the old year wrought and the sun is peeking over the horizon on a fresh start.  Three hundred and sixty five days of second chances to get it right.  But for some reason I am struggling this year.  Wondering what happened to the anticipation and the determination.

Last year I chose a word to carry me through 2012 in lieu of the usual list of suspect resolutions.  How did that work out you ask?  My word was intentional and I believe it served me well, especially on the days that I embraced it; woke up with it bouncing on the bed and shouted it to the roof tops.  Of course by September there were many days I had to dig through the boxes stacked throughout the cottage to even locate it.  But that's okay.  I always managed to find it, blow off the dust and watch the magic happen when I let it loose again.

But let's get back to 2013 shall we.  A new year deserves a new word.  I have struggled with this for the past four days, which may account, at least in part, for the lackluster start to the new year.  Words came and went like shoppers at Macys but non stuck.  In fact when I started typing this morning I still had no word.  But somewhere between sips of coffee and spell check it appeared.  Drifted in on the gulf breeze.  Lightened my heart and causing me to smile.

JOY:  A feeling of great pleasure and happiness.

2013 is the year of joy.

This one's going to be a challenge.  But then, what's a fresh start without a challenge?

Anyone out there want to join me?




1 comment:

chicken said...

I will join you! I am late to the party...but thats ok...I'm never on time! JOY! It has a nice ring to it! JOY! 2013 will bring a lot of things...some of them "just things" and some of them more important like...but I believe that 2013 will bring lots of JOY!!