Thursday, June 3, 2010

All in a Day's Work

Project 15 - Day 81

You can tell it’s summer in south Florida. The island is deserted, a lot like a ghost town sweltering under the tropical sun. Traffic is non-existent and the beach is empty. It is particularly noticeable at the gallery.

One of my partners is on a 3-week vacation. Several months ago we two agreed to “cover” for each other to make it easier for us to get away for more than a few days at a time. Of course at that time I thought I was committed to the gallery until next spring. Committed to the loony bin is what I should have been. What I failed to consider at the time of the pact was how slow things would be during the summer season. And now not only am I spending my last couple of weeks working my hours at the studio, but hers as well. But hey, a promise is a promise.

Yesterday went something like this:

11:00 a.m. – Open the studio. Drag the sign board outside.

11:05 a.m. – Power up the lap top and begin the wait for customers.

11:30 a.m. – Pace the studio to keep from falling asleep.

11:45 a.m. – Start digging in the cooler for lunch.

12:00 noon – Gaze longingly at lone passer-by. Silently pleading for them to come in.

12:16 p.m. – Looking for a snack.

12:29 p.m. – Staring at computer monitor wishing I could access somebody, anybody’s internet connection.

12:45 p.m. – Pleading with passer-by to come in. She ran away calling for security.

1:00 p.m. – I know there has to be another snack in the cooler. I couldn’t have eaten everything already.

1:12 p.m. – A customer is in the shop. Trying hard to be non-threatening.

1:13 p.m. – Watching said customer exit the building.

1:15 p.m. - Searching for food.

1:35 p.m. – Hit forehead on desk while napping. No stitches needed.

1:48 p.m. – Walked next door to Starbucks and snatched copies of the all 3 of the free weekly newspapers servicing the island.

2:01 – Finished ready newspapers.

2:10 p.m. – What happened to the watermelon I packed?

2:18 p.m. – Cranked up the cd player. Dancing and swaying to Margaritaville; also singing loudly off-key.

2:21 p.m. – Starbuck’s employee asked me to stop. I scared away their customer.

2:26 p.m. – There should be a Weight Watchers snack bar in this bag someplace.

2:50 p.m. – Woke myself up snoring.

3:01 p.m. – Is it 7 o’clock yet?

3:18 p.m. – Two visitors came in. I locked the doors behind them. They are now my captives.

3:19 p.m. – I let them out. They threatened to call the FBI.

3:31 p.m. – Watching the wind blow.

3:43 p.m. – Is that a raisin?

4:00 p.m. – Making faces in mirror.

4:09 p.m. – Patching nail holes in the wall.

4:18 p.m. – Hey you, over here. I’m giving away free paintings.

4:42 p.m. – Did you know you can blow bubbles with Dentyne?

4:56 p.m. – Finally, it’s dinner time. If I take really small bites how long can I make this sandwich last?

4:57 p.m. – Sandwich consumed.

5:01 p.m. – Making nose print faces on the front doors.

5:16 p.m. – Cleaning front doors.

5:37 p.m. – More sing along with Jimmy. Let Starbucks call the police, at least someone would come in.

5:52 p.m. – I wonder if there is anything left in the bottom of the cooler?

6:08 p.m. - Dang what’s that smell. Cold Stone Creamery is baking waffle cones again. Where’s my cooler?

6:13 p.m. – Do you think Inez would notice if I added a little paint to her work in progress?

6:30 p.m. – I know every word to all of Jimmy’s songs.

6:40 p.m. – It’s a little early, but I’ll just drag the sign inside anyway.

6:50 p.m. – Pacing anxiously.

6:59 p.m. – Lights out, doors locked. I’m outta here.

I’ve got to get to bed early tonight. I have a big day ahead of me tomorrow.


11:00 a.m. - Open the studio. Drag the sign board outside.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, no pictures today? You could take pictures of your purse. Some of them have so many features: zippers, tags, pockets, combination materials, contrast color lining.............

And your last day is....?

S. Patton said...

Oh this hurts to read...because I'm laughing so hard! Hang in there, you're almost finished (aren't you?!)

Audrey said...

You could plan your trip itinery for the next year.... (maybe that's already done!)

Marla Logan said...

You are hillarious!!! Did you know i like Margaritaville??? That was a great play by play. Can't wait to hear about your next day????
Love,
Marla