Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Charlie Brown's Bush

wRedBerries_drops

I admit that I am botanically challenged.  I do not know the common name of most of the plant world yet alone the scientific name.

Midway down our lane a scrawny little bush resides.  It doesn't appear to be thriving.  It is reminiscent of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree, all spindly branches with a few brown leaves thrown in for good measure.   Over the past few weeks something magical has happened to Charlie's bush.  It has somehow managed to produce a bumper crop of beautiful red berries.  So much so that the branches are bowed and bent from the weight of it all.

On a recent morning I found the little shrub further burdened. It had rained during the night and tiny dropletss of water were clinging desperately to the berries, hanging on, fearing the fall to the unknown world below.  I couldn't help myself.  I was compelled to stop and capture it, to freeze the moment, to make a memory.  I will be unable to look at this photograph without remembering the little red cottage, or walks down the lane in the fall, or the Charlie Brown bush.

I just wish I knew what it was called.  If anyone out there knows the answer I would love to hear from you.

3 comments:

Audrey said...

They look like rose hips. Perhaps the scraggly bush is a wild rose bush....

Anonymous said...

Could be Winterberry
Judy H.

Life in Color said...

It's a Red Berry Pyracantha.
The Kid