Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Location People

Two weeks ago today I arrived in Knoxville, TN along with 3 of my photography friends.  We were participating in Location People, a 5 day workshop focused on shooting people on location.  What none of us anticipated was the frenetic pace, long days and short nights.

Our host and mentor for the week was portrait and wedding photographer Bryan Allen.  Bryan has more energy than my two grandchildren combined, an infectious upbeat personality, and a willingness and desire to share his knowledge of photography with anyone who cares to listen.  I am certain that I came away with a mere thimble full of tips and tricks compared with the amount of information presented.

The workshop began promptly at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon.  We were introduced to studio lighting and encouraged to play utilizing each other as models.

Side_light_reflector


Spot

We broke at 8:00 p.m. for dinner at a local restaurant and were dismissed around 11:00 p.m. to begin work on our assignment for the day.  And oh by the way "we'll see you back in the studio at 7:00 a.m. sharp!"  And so it went for 5 jam packed days.  On the final evening there was an optional late night session at a local laundromat.  I passed on the festivities but those who were game ended their day at 4:30 a.m.

There was a day of natural light outdoor portrait work in an urban setting near Bryan's studio.

T_1

wbackground_1

L_1

Flash was added to the mix after piling into cars and heading to Knoxville's Botanical Gardens.

Scott

Here my group received an assignment to photograph Bryan's studio logo in a fun setting for potential promotional use.  A mentor was always close by to answer questions and offer suggestions.

April_3

April_2

On Friday we drove 40 minutes out of the city and were introduced to six families with active pre-schoolers.  Our assignment:  photographers were paired with families and instructed to photograph the children & families in the worst light imaginable.  Bryan's way of pushing us out of the nest, forcing us to think and apply what we had learned.  And oh by the way "I have enticed these families to participate by promising them a portfolio of images."

DSC_6543

DSC_7124


The following morning we were introduced to a "production studio."  A large, stark white warehouse that is used for commercial photo shoots and filming commercials or movies.  Models were furnished complete with hair and make-up stylists.  There were Olympic gymnasts, a Viper automobile, ski equipment, a motorcycle and more.  Our assignment:  photograph images that can be used as print media for commercial clients.  While my fellow attendees rose to the occasion, I was totally overwhelmed by the challenge.  Fortunately help was never more than a step away.  And oh by the way "the models are getting paid with a portfolio of images so do a good job!"

DSC_7249

DSC_7270

And so it went.  Five days of non stop work with the added pressure to produce quality images as payment to those who volunteered their time.  This was easily the most fast paced and intense workshop I have ever attended.  The days began (for me) at 5:00 a.m and ended between midnignt and 1:00 a.m. Had I known what the workshop was about I would never have participated.  I was so far out of my comfort zone it would take light years to find my way back home.  And yet I am glad I went.  I have no regrets.  Not only did I get to spend 5 days with some pretty terrific people but, I have come away with a head full of ideas and enough new found knowledge to tinker with for months.  Hopefully over time I can digest what I have learned and incorporate the new techniques into my work.

And oh by the way...I went home and slept for three days.  Not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I use your blog post? I'm still too exhausted to write one of my own.