Saturday, October 30, 2010

Our Girls

For 29 of the past 37 years I have lived my life in a man's world.  A world full of GI Joes, Matchbox Cars, footballs, wrestling and a freight train load of testosterone.  You can imagine how excited I was when B arrived on the scene.  The fact that our first grandchild was a female....pure delight.  Although it will be a few more years before Allie can hold her own against the "big boys," her presence is already felt amid the princess dresses and Barbie dolls that litter the floor when she's in town.

wAllie_B_leaves_1

Having the girls around is about much more than back-up support in my male dominated world.  It is about love and watching a mother-daughter bond form and forge into tempered steel that will withstand the test of time (teen years excepted).

wAllienB_leaves_2

B is a wonderful mother who doles out discipline when needed and wipes away a wayward tear with the ease of a tenured expert.  On her recent visit it was all play when she and Allie snuck outside to grab some girl time while the G-man was napping.

wAllienB_Run_1

I sat in their midst and attempted to capture their joy with my camera.

wAllienB_run2

They made it easy.

wAllienB_ground

I couldn't help but think how much these two have enriched in my life.

wAllienB_bwtoned

B, I know I don't tell you often enough what a great wife and mom you are and how much you are loved.  Thanks for being you and for bringing a little tenderness to my testosterone saturated world.

Now the G-man, he's another story.  He's already gone over to the dark side.

4 comments:

Bethany Patton said...

Wow....thank you Susan! This means a lot to me. Sending all the love back at ya - I was just telling someone a few days ago how I couldn't have hand picked better in-laws. Love you guys!!!! (And the pics are so sweet...I love that little girl.)

Judy H. said...

Well done!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures and beautiful tribute. Priceless. -k-

Marla Logan said...

Oh My Goodness......this made me cry!!! HOw sweet!! You did your usual outstanding job! Thank you for loving the girls. I'm so happy that my little girl has in-laws that she adores!! It does my heart good to know that they have such wonderful, caring family, that loves and supports! Thanks to you and the Kid for wrapping them in love!
Love,
Marla