Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Hummers

Humming birds fascinate me.  Their size.  Their speed.  Their industrious spirit.

One of the things I knew I wanted after purchasing the Little Red Cottage was a humming bird feeder.  I thought I might find one wrapped and tied with a bow waiting for me under the Christmas tree last year, but no one got the hint.  I also had a vision of a unique and ornamental version that would be a conversation piece as well as a feeder.  What I bought was a $5 red plastic contraption the likes of which is sold in every mega store across the land.  And do you know what?  The humming birds like it.  They don't care that it's cheap plastic and not an artistic statement.  Something else I've learned.  You don't need to purchase the red dye filled nectar sold along side the cheap plastic feeders.  The hummers are just as happy with a simple formula of water and sugar sans red dye.

Initially we were surprised to find that our local ant population was equally impressed with our little feeder.  It didn't take long for a super highway of ants to form, a one way trip to a sugary paradise.  On a suggestion from my Mom we applied a little axle grease to the base of our hanger.  The highway dissolved, along with the hopes and dreams of ants for miles around.  But the hummers kept coming.

Last weekend I set my camera and tripod in front of the feeder window and waited.  It didn't take long until the tiny birds began to zip in, drink their fill and zip off again.  Quick as lightening they came.  I soon discovered that a remote chord to trigger the shutter was a must. The hummers are easily distracted and will flit away at the slightest of movements.  I was happily engaged for almost an hour as one after the other the hummers stopped by for a drink and a photo shoot.

wHummer_1

wHummer_3

wHummer_2

wHummer_4

If you feed them, they will come.

Enjoy your Tuesday.

3 comments:

Tim Logan said...

AWEsome pictures!!! I love hummingbirds also.

Audrey said...

Awesome pictures - and awesome little birds!

Audrey said...

Awesome pictures - and awesome little birds!