Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mrs. M.

Project 15 - Day 114

The quality of mercy is not strained.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven,
Upon the place beneath.
It is twice blessed.
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.

W. Shakespeare

MrsM


If you had told me back in 1967 that one day I would spend my 4th of July holiday enjoying the company of my freshman English teacher, I would never have believed you. But that's exactly where I found myself this past Sunday, some 43 years later. The above photo is not a good one, my apologies Mrs. M. But good enough to pay tribute to a dedicated educator and genuinely nice lady.

I remember a few things about Mrs. M and freshman English. The first thing that comes to mind is control. Mrs. M was always in control of her class, which is one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much. The other reason was literature, quality stuff. The kind that makes you think. Robert Frost and William Shakespeare. She had a knack for breaking it down and presenting it in a way that hormone satiated 15 year olds could grasp, even appreciate. One of the requirements of her class was to memorize and recite Portia's mercy speech from The Merchant of Venice. I can't do it today, but she can.

I don't remember a lot of details from that year, with the exception of my first real date taking place sometime after Christmas. But I am certain that I didn't truly appreciate Mrs. M and the values she instilled in her students by her example. Her standards were high, her patience unending and anyone who made an effort was rewarded with a clear understanding of the subject matter at hand and a life lesson on perseverance.

One of the regrets that comes with age is an awareness of missed opportunities. The realization that we have failed to thank those who have had a positive impact on our lives. I realize that it is 43 years over due but Mrs. M...thank you. Thank you for setting high standards and expecting that they be met. Thank you for your patience. Above all thank you for sharing your wisdom and yourself with your students for all those years.

And Mrs. M., if you happen to read this please don't grade me on grammar or punctuation. There were some things that just never sunk in.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to borrow your beautiful tribute to thank a few teachers in my life! How wonderful (and intimidating) to spend time with her many years after her class.

Tim Logan said...

Susan,
Thanks for the tribute. We do need to tell people what they they mean in our lives. I want to thank you and the kid for raising two boys of character who have blessed our lives.
Pop