Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Red Geraniums

Project 15 - Day 119

wRedGeranium

I love red geraniums. It's a nostalgia thing for me, comfort food for the eyes. It's a lot like mac & cheese. I love mac & cheese too, all that gooey cheesiness. If I don't get back on track I'll be breaking that scale I snuck in the car.

Have I told you that I weigh my pants? I do, or I did. I weighed them all to determine which were the lightest so I would know what to wear when I went to WW to weigh in. Is that cheating?

Now where was I? Right..red geraniums. I love red geraniums. Have I mentioned that? When I was growing up we had red geraniums in our yard every summer. My dad loved them too. We had a white rail fence that ran along our driveway and each year it would be lined with bright red geraniums.

Each spring, when the fear of frost was over a trip would be made to the local greenhouse. Flats of geraniums (always red) would be paid for and loaded into the trunk of the car. My dad would carefully place those tender young plants in a neat and orderly line along the fence. There was a predesignated place for each one known only to him. The rest of the summer would be spent feeding, watering and watching them grow. Occasionally he would recruit one of his off spring to help with the weeding. I was excited when I passed the test and could be trusted to do the weeding without supervision. I've gotten smarter since then. I've figured out that when you learn how to do the job correctly it becomes yours.

Red geraniums are happy flowers and always make me smile. They also make my back ache.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice memory. Thanks for sharing the story. You weighed your pants!!!!?