Saturday, July 10, 2010

Susan Patton Squared

Project 15 - Day 117

It was a date with destiny. No matter how you feel about that sort of thing, you will never convince me otherwise. It all began last November (you can read about it here), when a random comment appeared in my blog. There was another Susan Patton out there, another Susan Patton with two sons, a passion for photography, and a western PA upbringing. I was intrigued.

Over the past 8 months we two Susans have been communicating via email and through family and friends. It seems we have a lot of connections. She sent her good friend, who was visiting Marco, to meet me. My sister looked her up at a local function this spring. We know people, who know us both. Her grandparents and my parents were acquaintances. It's all wonderfully bizarre, especially when you consider our roughly 20-year age difference.

It should come as no surprise that we eventually had to meet. I was in town. She found a baby sitter and carved time out of her busy schedule. I put family on hold for the afternoon. This wasn't just lunch, it was a date with destiny and perhaps my younger alter ego. I was excited. I had butterflies. I couldn't wait for her to get there. And I wasn't disappointed.

I think I ate lunch. I know I talked too much. (Susan there were so many things I didn't ask you..I'll write them down for the next time.) And the afternoon flew by. I knew she had things to do, but I couldn't seem to let her go. There was talk of family, friends, Camp Lambec and of course photography. A lot of talk about photography. She is a beautiful person inside and out.

Before we parted we cornered a nice man and had him snap a picture. After all, this meeting of the Susans had to be documented. You can't get two camera loving SPs together and not have a photo op. (In case you can't tell us apart I'm the one with the glasses.) Then all too soon it was time to go.

wThe Susans

Susan, meeting you face to face was better than home-made custard (and that was pretty darn good). I'm looking forward to the next time. Can we make it next week if I promise to paint?











2 comments:

S. Patton said...

I miss you already :) Thanks for meeting up, it was so great to see you finally in person!! And about next week, YES!! Paint or no paint, let's get together again :D

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed meeting the other Susan Patton, too!