Monday, August 9, 2010

Audrey

wAudrey
Audrey

Audrey, Aud, Wife, Mom, soon to be grandma, friend. What do you say about someone who has been with you since the dawn of time? She is soft spoken, intelligent, attentive, fair minded, talented and patient. She is wife to Bob, Mom to Kylie and Tyler and best friend to me.

Growing up my house was her house and vice verse. Her family was mine. She was my Dad's 3rd daughter. He spoke of her that way. I'm not certain she knows that, but it's true. We logged endless hours on the phone, shared secrets, and hopes and dreams. When graduation rolled around we vowed to stay in touch.

Even after we were both married with children we vacationed together. We camped along the banks of the Susquehanna River, hiked sand dunes on Cape Cod, soaked up the sun on Hilton Head. They moved every year or two. We followed them. We saw the country through their moves, Chicago, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, New York City, New Hampshire. We missed Minnesota and Boston and it took us awhile but after 20 years we finally made it to Connecticut.

But as is usually the case with time and distance our relationship stumbled a bit. There were jobs to work and teens to raise and we slowly lost touch. Not completely, but what had once been a thriving friendship was relegated to a quick lunch whenever we were both in town. That changed last summer.

They visited us in Maine, we spent a long weekend in Connecticut. And then there was Hilton Head. It was an off-hand invitation made only a few short weeks ago to join her family for their annual pilgrimage to the island. We hesitated for about 5 seconds and before we knew it another a Hilton Head reunion was in the books.

She mentioned yesterday that it has always been her hope that once our children set out on their own we would see each other more often - perhaps vacation together again...and so we have. But I have a feeling that now that this door has swung open again there will be no closing it. Like a bottle of fine wine that has aged gracefully on the shelf, our friendship has been uncorked and allowed to breathe again.

I couldn't have made it through high school without her. My life would have not been as full if I had never met her. She was there for me at 16 and she'll be there for me at 60. Who could ask for more?

I love you Aud, and I know a little red cottage on Pymatuning that can't wait to meet you.

44 down - 956 to go

2 comments:

Audrey said...

You make me cry. Our friendship has always been a part of me and too important to ever let quietly fade away. It has always been there - just waiting for the time to bloom again! I'm glad that time has arrived.

S. Patton said...

You two are so sweet - this made me cry too. Glad you have each other!