Sunday, August 8, 2010

Under the Weather

We had to board our sweet Henna last week. Our usual m.o. if she can't travel with us is to leave her at home with a pet sitter. It works well and she seems no worse for the wear. However for our stop in Hilton Head we didn't have much choice but to board her in a kennel.

We told her she was going to doggy camp. When we left her on Sunday her stubby little tail was wagging as they led her off. I think there was so much commotion that she didn't realize what was happening. When we picked her up on Friday afternoon it was a whole different story.

There was no tail wagging, no excited jumping, no happy to see us greeting, just a vacant stare. As soon as we got outside there was some bloody diarrhea and I was upset. I was assured by the gentleman manning the checkout process that there had not been any physical issues with our girl but I'm not certain I'm buying it. Henna was stressed. She was physically ailing, emotionally beaten, and her trust in us had taken a big hit.

In case you are new to the blog, Henna was a rescue. We know little about her first year of life other than she was turned into a kill shelter with two puppies. The shelter planned on keeping Henna's off-spring but our little missy was scheduled to be euthanized. It was then that Golden Retriever Rescue of Naples swooped in and saved her. She was in a horrendous physical state and emotionally she was remote. We believe there was abuse in her past.

We have had her now for almost 4 years. She is beyond measure the sweetest and most gentle dog we have ever owned. It took time to get her to trust us and recognize us as her people. Who knows what kind of terrifying dog memories were awakened by her recent ordeal. I want to be clear that I do not think that she was mistreated at the kennel. I believe she just can't handle the noise, the commotion and the cage.

This morning she is eating normally again and the bloody stool has disappeared but she's still not herself. Yesterday she wouldn't even look at The Kid when he got up in the morning. She usually follows him around until he stops and has a good morning conversation with her. Now she keeps to herself much like she did the first couple of months that we had her. I did manage to get her to play a little last night and this morning she was wagging her tail when I got up...I am hopeful that within a few days our sweet Henna will return to her pre-doggy camp state.

wSleepingGirl

I told her if she gets over her mad I will never, ever send her to camp again. She's taking it under advisement and will get back to me. I just hope it's soon. I miss her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rescues remember very well where they came from. She'll be back, and more appreciative than ever that she has a wonderful home with you. I'm sure the promise of no more doggy camps helps, too!

Audrey said...

I'm heart broken. I, too, hope she is back very soon. Only reinforces that we need a dog friendly house!

Emily said...

I hope she feels better soon, and is back to her old self. Emily read this and she said to give Henna lots of hugs and kisses from her.