Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Destructo Mom

It all started innocently enough. In a burst of maternal servitude I found myself cleaning my son's home this past week. Not the superficial push the vacuum around the furniture and run a sponge around the sink kind of cleaning, but the hard core hands and knees kind. The kind that shrivels your fingers and causes your skin to peel following 4 days in hot water and Spic & Span. (I'm really not such a good mother, just trying to make amends for the whole birthday debacle of two years past.)

I moved through the house with confidence. After all if one gets to be my age, raised two children and a husband and hasn't become an expert cleaner there is no hope. When I reached the basement steps I knew there would be challenges. The carpet leading to the "Man Room" down below had obviously been neglected for quite some time.

wHoover_1

The old Hoover was awkward and hard to handle. It's prime had long since past and it was held together with a bungee chord. The stairway was indeed a challenge. It was a balancing act fit for a circus. One hand busily operating the hose, the other managing somehow to keep the old girl upright. Then something went terribly wrong. A loud bang which awakened the neighbors three blocks away was followed quickly by a cloud of dust and debris that encircled me much like the eruption of Mt. St. Helens. I had done the old girl in.

wNewHoover

No worries. Home Depot was just around the corner. Before you can say destructo mom I was back with a shiny new Hoover. Fresh out of the box it held the promise of a clean house. Soon I was back to work, the shiny new Hoover humming away by my side. I tried out the attachments zipping along the baseboards with a song in my heart. And then the improbable happened, another loud bang. This time accompanied by sparks and smoke. My very own pyro-techno show followed by the pungent odor of burning rubber. I had killed it. The brand new, shiny blue Hoover less than 1 hour old was dead.

I won't repeat the very ugly and unkind words that spewed forth from my lips. I demanded that it rise up and clean. But the severed chord with the frayed and burnt edges wasn't budging. I railed about poor design and substandard construction. The Hoover remained silent.

wseveredchord

About this time the men in my life began to assemble. There was laughter. I shed tears. There was more laughter. Two vacuum cleaners destroyed in the space of one single hour on a Sunday morning. It must be a record.

My suggestion to you if you need some domestic assistance...call Merry Maids. You can't afford me.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just adore your ability to relate a tale. Amy's mom

Marla Logan said...

Dear Destructo Mom,

Only the LOVE of a MOM would endure long enough and try hard enough to go through 2 vacuum cleaners in one hr!!!

Love this story, love you!
Marla