Thursday, November 11, 2010

Berries

wWinterberries

In case you haven't been paying attention, I like close-ups.  I like that only bits and pieces of the image are in focus leaving the remainder to blur and blend into a soft, pleasing background.  I like that sometimes beautiful circles of light appear in random patterns throughout the image.  In a photograph captured with minimal depth of field the subject emerges from the background and sits front and center leaving no room for debate over what the photographer thought was important, in that image, at that moment.

The subject of the photograph above is clearly the red berries.  Additional branches and berries blend softly into the background providing hints of the tangled brush beyond.  I especially like the colors. The red, violet, yellow and green are secondary characters that work together to bring the main character to life.  At one point I was tempted to place a "tea-stained" overlay on the photo.  It didn't work.  The idea was quickly scrapped and the original photo stands on its own merit.

I like it...a lot.  But its perfectly acceptable if you don't.  It's art and it's subjective.

On a side note:  Happy 40th B'day to one of my favorite people.  You know who you are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture, and I love the revelation of why you love close-ups.