Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Three Dollars

After shopping in the local grocery store to pick up a few odds and ends for Thanksgiving dinner I was excited to discover I still had $3 left over in cash.  Three crisp $1 bills lounging in my otherwise naked wallet.  I was excited.  I had exactly enough money needed to participate in my latest vice....scratch-off lottery tickets.

The Kid has only himself to blame for my new found obsession.  It began over the summer when it seemed we were always on the road.  Every time we stopped for gas he would return to the car with a scratch-off.  Rarely would I win anything but it was fun to play and if you purchase the right ticket it takes some time to work your way to the end.

There are a couple of games that have become favorites of mine, like Four Corner Bingo and The Diamond Mine.  Usually by the time I get to the remaining 2 or 3 numbers I am in need of only one more to win the big prize.  The anticipation builds as each number is revealed.  At this point I am certain that I will be the next big winner.  Of course we all know that the only big winner is the state of Pennsylvania who rakes in millions of dollars every day with their irresistible get rich quick schemes.

But I digress.  On this particular morning the $3 reclining in my wallet  were chanting "buy one, buy one, buy one."   I knew that the giant lottery dispensing machine was only a few steps away between the check-out counter and the door.  Knowing I only had $3 left I was careful with my selection.  Must choose a fun one.  Must choose one that takes awhile to play.  Must choose a winner.  With a great deal of excitement I removed the three one dollar bills from my purse and carefully slipped them into the receiving slot.  As the last bill disappeared into the vending machine a voice to my right said "how are you doing today?"  I turned and faced the stranger, a reply ready to burst forth from lips related to what a great day it would be once I won the big one.  But my enthusiasm for the game died.  Right there.  On the spot.  The soft voiced stranger was none other than a Salvation Army worker, bell in hand, setting up his kettle to collect money for the needy.

I am most certain the look on my face said it all.  I had no other cash in wallet.  I don't own a watch.  My earrings were worthless plastic.  I was tried and convicted in one brief exchange.  Sentenced to spend the remainder of all eternity in purgatory because of 3 one dollar bills and a scratch off lottery ticket.  And it's all The Kids' fault.  (You don't think I'm going to take the blame for this do you?)

In the end I smiled at the stranger, grabbed my ticket from the beastly machine and skulked off to my car.  The only jackpot I hit was the one loaded with guilt.  There was no fun in the process.  No eager anticipation as the numbers were revealed.  And no winning ticket.  I had deprived a sweet little girl of her princess doll for Christmas, or perhaps a two year old little boy of his choo choo train.  I was doomed.  My son said I should have placed the lottery ticket in the kettle.  I guess that would have been better than nothing.

I think in the future I will tuck a couple of dollars away in a hidden compartment in my purse for just such an emergency.  That's it.  That's exactly what I will do, just as soon as they let me out of rehab.

wshore

1 comment:

Audrey said...

This made me laugh and made me cry. A great perspective for us all!! (My husband will make a special trip to the store where his only purpose is to buy his lottery ticket!)