Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Don't Mess with Thanksgiving

As I said yesterday, this is going to be a wild and crazy Thanksgiving.  More so than usual.  This year The Kid and I will be crammed into the cottage with our off-spring in what will most likely be less than ideal weather conditions.  (You can interpret that to mean too cold and wet for typical outdoor, lake type activities.)  We are moving my Mother the morning after the turkey is carved.  Not just moving her mind you, but moving her into the very space we will be gathered in on Thursday.

My parents hosted Thanksgiving, always, without exception when I was growing up.  This continued well into my adult years until the time came for them to sell their home and down-size.  At that time my sister stepped up and assumed the role of hostess for the big day.  This has worked well for the past twelve years.  But now it is time for Mom to downsize once more.  She will be moving into a studio apartment in my sister's home.  It was agreed that we would wait until after the big holiday since her new space also happens to be our current gathering spot.  The timing is tricky but everyone agreed that one more Thanksgiving together in her home was worth the chaos that would ensue.

A few days ago my sister and I were discussing Thanksgiving dinner.  We were discussing logistics,  the menu and who would prepare what.  We were trying to determine how much could be done ahead of time and how much I could do at the cottage to make her life a little easier since quite frankly she is in a royal mess right now.  (Did you know you can make mashed potatoes ahead of time and keep them warm in a crock pot?  Apparently it works.)  My niece got wind of the conversation (can you say eavesdropping) and did not hesitate to offer her two cents.  "Wait, wait, wait" she said.  "Potatoes in the crock pot?  I don't think so.  DON'T MESS WITH THANKSGIVING" she insisted.  You can't change it now.  It has to be the same."

It is tradition after all.  There is comfort in the knowledge that family will gather for a day of thanksgiving, eat too much, watch football, play Uno, and tell the same stories year after year about who broke the lamp and who pushed who down the clothes chute.  Thanksgiving dinner may be the one constant in our ever changing lives. So no, don't mess with Thanksgiving.

That is unless you take them all on a cruise to the Bahamas and then it is perfectly acceptable.


wwaternSKY


wPushnGram

7 comments:

Bethany Patton said...

Love it! I'll sign up to be in charge of potatoes! I do agree with Mrs. Don't Mess with Thanksgiving.....crock pot mashed potatoes is a bit......untraditional.

Emily said...

I am sorry but I am sidding with both Bethany and the unnamed neice. I will sign up for whatever you tell me to make, and don't forget my kitchen is only 5 blocks away, so what ever is needed

Anonymous said...

I have a great, tested method to keep mashed potatoes that have been prepared early that doesn't involve a crock pot, but I can see that this crowd would not be open to the suggestion. ;)

Audrey said...

I did crock pot potatoes last year with satisfying success. I mashed them ahead of time my usual way and kept them warm in the crock pot. Worked just fine!

Judy H. said...

I had Thanksgiving dinner last weekend for my family, since we all have other obligations for turkey day. Turkey in 1 crock pot, stuffing in another, potatoes cooked in a pressure cooker and vegies in the microwave. My oven was not on all day! When it was on the table, no one knew I hadn't slaved all day.

chicken said...

I will step up and admit to being Mrs. Don't Mess with Thanksgiving!
I can also help out...
If we have crockpot mashed potatoes, we might as well NOT cheat at UNO, too.

Marla Logan said...

You and your family are hillarious!! Let us we just say a Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!! May your Turkey be done, your mashed potatoes hot, and may the best person win at UNO!! Love you all!