Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Cold North Wind

wMorningReflection

I awakened early yesterday morning cold and shivering.  The wind was howling across the lake forcing the icy winter air through every crack and crevice of the old cottage.   Burrowing deeper under the five quilts on the bed I tried, unsuccessfully, to ignore my growing discomfort.  Finally the thought of a hot cup of coffee waiting to be brewed nudged me out of bed and into action.  I grabbed a pair of socks, a sweatshirt, sweat pants, and a ski cap and headed for the kitchen.  It was even colder out there, the wind louder.  As my eyes adjusted to the darkness I gasped in disbelief.  The door leading from the living room to the unheated, uninsulated porch was standing wide open ushering in the cold.  I had found the culprit.

As I sat thawing out, coffee in hand, I came to the conclusion that I would not have made a very good pioneer.  No Conestoga wagons or prairie grass lodges for me.  Unless of course they came retrofitted with central heat and air... and at the very least,  a Mr. Coffee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we need a quick self-portrait shot of your cold weather gear - especially the ski cap as you brew your coffee.

Beautiful landscape image!

Audrey said...

I love the photo.

Where was the Kid in all this? I get the feeling he's already packed for FL - high tailing it out of town before the snow really starts to fly! (I saw lake effect snow flakes on the weather map this morning and thought of both of you.)