Wednesday, November 3, 2010

How Cold Was It?

It was cold yesterday morning.  How cold was it, you ask?  DARN COLD.  25 degrees cold.  Heavy frost cold.  Not enough warm clothes cold.  That's how cold it was.

wFrost_01

What it wasn't was too cold to keep me indoors.  When daylight began to break,  I peeked out of the window.  It looked as if their was a dusting of snow on the ground.  I quickly rummaged through my box of winter clothes, bundled up, and headed outdoors to face the elements.  The ground crunched under foot as I made my way to the lake shore.

wFrostondocks

Steam was rising from the water creating a smoky mist that lent a surreal feel to the morning.

(In case you are wondering what all of that stuff is littering the shore, it's the docks.  Lake resident's are required to remove their docks from the water by November 1.  I can't explain exactly why this is so.  What I do know is that the lake freezes solid each winter (can you say ice fishing) and leaving the docks in place is somehow detrimental.  Some folks dismantle theirs completely like the one in the foreground.  Others have wheels on them and are pulled out of the water in tact like the one in the background.)

wOakleaf_frost

I lasted about 30 minutes. When I could no longer feel my fingers (no gloves),  I retreated to the comfort of the cottage, warmed my hands, changed my lens and set out again.  The air was crisp and clear and I just couldn't stay indoors.

wCoveMist_frost

By the time the sun peeked over the tree tops to the east I was a popcycle.  My feet were numb, my hands were frozen, and all that was on my mind was a hot cup of coffee...okay maybe a little sunny Florida too.

5 comments:

Audrey said...

what wonderful rewards for braving the elements! You can't get fairy tale pictures like these in FL!! Very nice.

Judy H. said...

Braving the cold definitely paid off for you. These are just beautiful. Just think of all the wonderful snow shots you will miss when you are back in sunny FL.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photography! Say, it looks a little cold up there!

Marla Logan said...

Brrr....I say Brrr!! And here I am thinking the 50's we're having was cold!

robin said...

I just love when the frost does that and you did an awesome job capturing it!!