Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Night Stalker Revealed

Maybe.  Henna continues to wake us up in the wee hours of the morning several nights a week with her barking.  We have been unable to "officially" determine just who or what the night stalker is.  BUT, we are 98% certain that this is our visitor.

wBuck_1

A few days ago on a dreary, rainy afternoon we were once again summoned to the window by Henna's incessant barking.  What we expected to see was our neighbor and his dog Dewie on their afternoon walk.  What we saw instead was this big fella.  He hung around, sniffing the ground for a few minutes before meandering back into the woods.

We were puzzled by his mid-afternoon appearance.  After all white tailed deer are nocturnal, waiting for the cover of darkness to venture into open spaces to feed.  We thought it was a fluke, a serendipitous moment that we were fortunate to witness thanks to Henna's keen sense of sight and sound.  It turns out we were wrong.

wBuck_2

Since that day, when the neighborhood is quiet, our house guest has been turning up most afternoons and providing us with some pleasurable moments before wandering off again.  On Sunday I was prepared.  I attempted to take a few photographs of "Buck" through the window.  And while he wasn't far off (approximately 25 yards) I don't have a lens that can capture a great portrait at that distance.  But I wasn't deterred.  I can work with what nature, or in this case B & H Photo, has provided.

I snuck out the back door of the cottage and as quietly as possible made my way to the side of the house.  He heard me as soon as my feet hit the ground.  He didn't appear to be threatened and quickly went back to his snack.  I moved a little closer and fired off a few more shots.  With each click of my camera his head would come up.

wBuck_3

It didn't take long for him to tire of the game and head off into the woods.  I wish the photos were better, maybe next time after Santa or Nikon gifts me with a 400mm lens.  (On that note I have a little matter I would like to discuss with Nikon, just in case they're listening.  When are they going to update that nice little 80 - 400 mm lens and equip it with the VR II technology?  Inquiring minds want to know.)

As you can see our Buck is a young one.  Although it appears his rack is a 6 point which I'm told makes him fair game come deer season.  Our hope is that he keeps close to the cottages that line the lake and makes it through this hunting season.

wBuck_4

It would be a wonderful treat to return next summer to see just how much our little Buck has grown.

Now excuse me while I go drop some apples under those trees in an overt attempt at luring him closer to my window for another photo shoot.

4 comments:

Audrey said...

Ah the sweet, delicate white tail deer...... You clearly have not had the pleasure of seeing your expensive, lots of work to plant plants eaten to the ground by these creatures! Believe me, there are certainly more where he came from - and once you plant your hydrangeas you won't be luring him any closer with apples! You'll welcome hunting season to give you a fighting chance!

Life in Color said...

Ah Aud, don't rain on my parade. Of course you are right, by this time next year I will probably be searching the net for a gun!

ERG said...

Nice pictures. I can't believe he even stood still long enough for you to get his picture!

robin said...

better not let shawn see this guy or he will be no more!!!!!!