Saturday, November 20, 2010

Things Remembered

In the midst of looking forward to the busy days ahead, I thought it would be nice to take a look back, to our first three months in the little red cottage.  There are so many things I will miss when we fly south.  Not the least of these are the geese.

wgeese_swim

In spite of their prolific pooping, I have grown to love these beautiful creatures.  I find myself listening for the distant honking that signals their arrival in the cove.

wgeese_swim_2

At times they make their way a little too close to the cottage while feeding.  It has become great sport to let Henna loose to chase them back to the safety of the water.  It's really a set-up for poor Henna, she doesn't have a prayer to catch one but it's still fun to watch.  We keep her on the leash until the geese get wind of her presence and someone sounds the warning honk.  Soon there is honking, flapping and waddling the likes of which you have never seen.  Once the geese begin their panicked race back to the lake Henna is unleashed.  By the time our little girl reaches the water's edge the geese are floating safely off-shore.  Now keep in mind our little retriever is petrified of water.  She wouldn't dip a paw in that lake if her life depended on it.  I think the geese have figured this out.  I also believe the honking that continues is nothing short of taunting on the part of the geese.

wgoose_swim3

In recent weeks visits from the geese have been few and far between.  I'm not certain if the hunters have scared them away or if they have followed their instincts and migrated to a warmer climate.

Say, that's not a bad idea.  I think I'll look into it.

No comments: