Friday, May 21, 2010

Focusing on the Problem

Project 15 - Day 67

I believe I have mentioned the fact that I've been struggling with some focusing issues with my photography. (I also have non photography related focusing issues too but we'll not go there today.) Nothing seems sharp to me anymore. I haven't figured out if the problem is camera or photographer related. The easier fix would be camera. It is much easier to repair a broken camera than a broken photographer.

In an attempt to figure it out I took a lot of pictures of the grandkids during my last visit. (Not that I need an excuse to fill every memory card I own with photos of the two smartest and most beautiful children in the world.) But I really was trying to work it out. On my last day we took a little walk before dinner. I ended up in the middle of the street while A & the G-man rode their bikes around me. I've found it works out best for all involved if they get preoccupied with fun and forget about Grammy and her camera.


The above photo of Miss A looks stunning on the IMac desktop. But once I resized it, uploaded it to Flickr and moved it over here something changed with the color. What's up with that? But look at that sweet smile. There's no whine or cheese. It's natural. It's her. Our beautiful little girl.

The two close-ups are adequately sharp but something's not right. They both appear soft around the eyes.


This focusing thing has me stymied. When I pull back, shoot a little farther away I don't think it's as noticeable, but it's still there. Tack sharp they are not. One always strives for tack sharp, especially the eyes. The eyes are the window to the soul and the key to good portraiture.



There's nothing like a puppy to provide a little distraction. This is a wonderful shot except for the soft, slightly out of focus eyes, and the G-man's little hand reaching in for some puppy love.



There they go riding off into the sunset... around the bend to the brick house on the corner. A little old school flavor provided by Matt Nicolosi's Italian Texture Collection and a touch of chocolate milk courtesy of Flora Bella. (Thank you -k- for the Flora Bella hook-up, beautiful textures and actions.)


If I don't resolve my focusing issues soon I think a second trip to SC might be in order. You know, to further study the problem; or maybe I should just get new glasses.

3 comments:

S. Patton said...

I think further study is needed...get your plane ticket, Grammy!

Audrey said...

I'm sure further study is in order. But the pictures look wonderful to me!

Bethany Patton said...

Nothing wrong with the pics, but I still think you should book a ticket back up here!