Sunday, May 30, 2010

Retirement - Take II

Project 15 - Day 77

It's not that I didn't get it right the first time. But recently I have been reminded of the many reasons I took the plunge two years ago. They are the same reasons that I have decided to do it again.


I am relinquishing my spot at the gallery. The Artist Colony at the Esplanade's Portside Studio will carry on without me beginning on June 15th. I loved working there in the midst of all of that creative energy. I made new friends, both artists and Colony visitors. I listened in quiet amazement as clients talked about the art. I sold my work. I laughed with my co-workers. I learned a lot about business, art marketing and myself. It was a once in a life-time opportunity, one I would not have missed for the world.

But in the end it wasn't a hard decision to make. I have a need to spend more time with family. My Nashville family. My Carolina family. My Pennsylvania family. I have a need to travel, to visit places I have never been. I want to capture it all on my Nikon (if it ever comes home again). And if those images never grace a stranger's home, so be it. They will be imprinted in my memory and on my heart.

The Artist Colony was never my dream, it was an opportunity. I have no regrets. (I would have it I hadn't participated.) I didn't become rich and famous; nor did I fall on my face. I can walk away content with myself.

Now it's time to get on with my dreams.

So family....ready or not, here I come.


4 comments:

Emily said...

YEAAAAAAAA, can't wait to see you

S. Patton said...

Congratulations! Sounds like the right thing at the right time for you. Enjoy!

Bethany Patton said...

We are excited to have the chance for more Grammy visits! See you soon! Real soon! Have you booked your flight yet?

Tim Logan said...

What about Huntsville?
Tim and Marla