Saturday, May 22, 2010

Home Alone

Project 15 - Day 68

Last weekend The Kid received an SOS call from S. It seemed there were a few projects that needed completing in a timely fashion. S figured his Dad had nothing but time on his hands and would be a good candidate for the job. In a matter of hours a suitcase was packed and the car was heading north on I75 bound for SC.

I was staying behind. The thought of six days at home alone was enough to get my heart pumping. I don't think I've been home alone since The Kid retired. I was giddy with excitement. I awoke early on Monday morning and waved good-bye as the beast pulled out of the driveway. I poured a cup of coffee, sank into my corner of the couch, and let out a long, blissful sigh. Home Alone. The week stretched out before me, six wonderful days of endless possibilities.

On Monday I flitted around the house, planning my meals, logging on and off of the computer to my hearts content and mentally listing all of the wonderful things I might do during my vacation. Please don’t misunderstand. I love my husband. Love him dearly. But we have spent the better part of the last 2 years joined at the hip. An entire week home by myself was a gift from above. One that I planned on unwrapping pronto.

On Tuesday I went shopping. All day.

On Wednesday I paid a visit to the local video store and rented all of the chick flicks I had been wanting to watch and knew he would hate.

On Thursday I spent endless hours on the computer playing Mah Jong and surfing the net. I had a photo shoot with Henna.

By Friday I was wandering aimlessly around the house taking pictures of anything and everything that caught my attention.

The plant on the lanai.

My shadow.

The window blinds.

It is now Saturday. The Kid comes home today. My week is spent.

I am once again sitting in my corner of the couch, coffee in hand. Only this time I am reflecting on how pathetic I am. The window blinds? Really, how lame is that?

I only have one question. What happened to all of those endless possibilities?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you and the Kid need to occupy an East Wing and a West Wing. You can watch chick flicks and take pictures of window blinds to your heart's content, and the Kid can do one-armed push-ups, or whatever, to get ready for the season. One can still check in on the other one from time to time. Or just shout hello every few days. :)

Audrey said...

With B not traveling anymore, T graduated from college and STILL looking for a real job and me working full time - when I'm home, so is everyone else!! I'm planning MY room for over the new garage - I don't yet have plans for a new garage, but I can dream! And I'll have "Chick Flick" movie night every Friday. You're invited.