Friday, May 14, 2010

The Half Million Dollar Man

Project 15 - Day 61

I would like to introduce you to John M. We met John last week while visiting Callaway Gardens. John is the self proclaimed "Half Million Dollar Man." Why you ask? On February 23rd of this year John fell 35 feet off of a ladder. He estimates that the cost to put this Humpty Dumpty back together again was, you got it, one half million dollars. But there is more to John's story than the cost of repair. His story is about faith and a strong constitution.


After John's plunge to perhaps what should have been his death he was rushed to a local hospital, stabilized and then med-flighted to Atlanta. He underwent 9 plus hours of surgery to repair a punctured lung, and (9 or 10 ) broken and crushed vertebrae in his neck and upper back. He also suffered from a severe concussion but thankfully no serious head trauma. He awoke 3 weeks later to the realization that his life had changed forever.

I don't thing they gave him much chance to live yet alone walk again but John's faith and determination helped him fight through the pain. He told us that on Easter Sunday there was talk of miracles. It was on that day that he got out of his wheelchair and walked across the room unassisted for the first time. He believes that he too is one of God's miracles.

John is a working class man. An electrician. His weathered face tells the story of a hard working individual who hasn't always had an easy life. And yet there is a twinkle in his eye that hints of the lighter side of the man. The side that loves life, his family and his God.

As we stood listening to John tell his story of survival I knew I wanted to take his picture. I began fiddling with my camera, changing settings and visualizing in my head what I wanted to convey. And then I did what I rarely do, and I mean rarely, I asked his permission. Of course he said yes, I knew he would, that's probably why I felt comfortable asking. And then he turned towards me and smiled. I snapped the shutter but it wasn't the shot I was looking for. I wanted him to forget about the camera and me. I didn't want him to pose. Finally he turned back towards "The Kid" and resumed his conversation. Soon he was lost in his story again and it was then that I raised the camera and took the second shot. It is the one I prefer.

I'm thankful we ran into John in front of the chapel at Callaway Gardens. I'm glad that he allowed me to make his picture and that he was compelled to share his story with strangers. I'm awed by the man, his faith and his will to survive.

It was a pleasure meeting you John M., Half Million Dollar Man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a story! I'm sure he will approve of the portraits he inspired you to take.