Monday, January 10, 2011

War Eagle, Hey

The college football season is drawing to a close.  It has been a good one.  It has been a great one.  There have been moments of brilliance that will be talked about for generations.  There have been scandals that will go down in infamy.  Tonight it will be all be decided on the field, in Glendale, Arizona when the Oregon Ducks take on the Auburn Tigers for the national championship.  I will be watching and I will be cheering on the Tigers.

My love affair with football began many, many years ago along with my undying affection for the Pittsburgh Steelers.  How is it you ask that a born and bred Pennsylvania girl became a devoted Auburn fan?  It began in late 1980 with a phone call.  Six weeks later I found myself living in the great state of Alabama ensconced in magnolia trees, cat fish, and SEC football.  After a few short weeks it became apparent that Auburn/Alabama football was a religion in that part of the country. Folks looked at you with more than a little suspicion if you didn't believe in either crimson or blue.  I began to sip the kool-aide.  I began to believe.  In Auburn.  At first it was on the down low, a petty act of rebellion against the Alabama zealots who occupied the house next door.  Over time it grew.  There were a couple of trips to the university for swim meets.  Walks around campus.  It seemed to be a special place.  For special people.

Unlike many Alabama fans, Auburn enthusiasts usually have a connection of some sort to the school.  Either they attended the university, or their parents did, or perhaps a child.  I was impressed with their love for their Alma Mater and their dedication to all things Auburn.  I admired the Auburn spirit.  But I was a guest at the party.  And then it happened.  Stephen chose Auburn. A connection was made.

I never had the opportunity to attend a large university.  No, that's not true I elected to attend a 3 year nursing school instead of a 5 year degree program.  And while that was the right decision for me, I have always wished for that big school experience.  In a round-about way Auburn was my chance.  With each visit to the loveliest village on the plains I was drawn in a little bit more, and a little bit more, until I was hooked.  I was a fan. I had connections.  I was in.

And so, on this day, on the cusp of what might be the greatest day in Auburn football history you can be asured that I will be watching.  I will be decked out in orange and blue, cheering on my adopted team.  I will be a nervous wreck but I will own it.

wAUlogo

And I say, whatever happens on the football field tonight, win or lose...
                                                                               it's great to be an Auburn Tiger.

WAEAGLE,
HEY


Click here for Project 365 : Day 5

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will root for the Tigers, since the Tide did not come in this year. It's a matter of support for my first born

Audrey said...

OK - I think picture 365-005 is designed to make those of us buried in snow - with more expected tomorrow - jealous of the fact that you are sitting bare foot beside your pool!!

And - Go Auburn!

Unknown said...

You nailed the Auburn Family feeling. War Eagle!

Marla Logan said...

Waaaaar Eagle!! Hope they win it!! We'll be home snow bound pulling for the Tigers!